How nice to be youthful till death comes – even if death occurs when you are 110 years old! Scientists have discovered the process of aging and they hope this will also help them learn the reverse process – anti aging. Research shows that there is a direct correlation between the number of calories that we take in, the kind of foods we eat and the signs of aging that appear in the body.
While these findings help scientists find a drug for anti aging, one has to accept that there is no drug at present to reverse this process. Cosmetic companies make billions of dollars touting the anti ageing properties of their creams, lotions, pills and powders. But the effect of these ‘miracle drugs’ is anybody’s guess.
It is scientifically accepted that the functions of cells, tissues and organs begin to break down at the age of 25. It is also an accepted fact that the body is about 15 years older than the mental faculties of a person – meaning that the mind and body do not develop at the same rate.
Anti Aging Methods
Researchers are frantically trying to find methods to reverse the biological clock. Any anti aging therapy is developed on the basis of four pillars:
- Lifestyle: One has to lead a disciplined, careful and responsible lifestyle to keep the body in good condition. Stress, strain, disease and overwork can speed up the rate at which we age.
- Diet : Food is one of the major contributors to the early aging of the body. Sugary, starch-filled, oily ‘junk’ food can only cause more harm than good. As weight increases, the body begins to sag, sink and weigh down.
- Fitness program: Everyone knows the benefits of physical exercise – it’s hard not to know it in this day and age. But mental exercises are equally important and much overlooked. To keep the mind agile and young, doing simple calculations in the mind, working out crossword puzzles etc are recommended.
- Hormone therapy: Hormone therapy aims to restore hormone deficiencies and imbalances. Hormones like Oestrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, Growth hormone and Melatonin are essential anti ageing substances produced by the body. Today, men and women lead their lives in spite of severe hormone and vitamin deficiencies. This significantly damages the body and the mind. Osteoporosis, sleep disturbances, loss of hair and depletion of vitality are some of the symptoms of aging.
Food For Anti Aging
Certain kinds of food can aid anti ageing. Some of these are:
- Fresh fruits like apples, berries and bananas: Apples contain pectin that helps reduce cholesterol. Apples also contain antioxidants that help get rid of free radicals. Vitamin C found in berries builds up new collagen in the skin and also prevent the formation of dreadful ‘thread veins’.
- Vegetables rich in fiber: Fast food encourages ageing. Fresh vegetables are storehouses of energy and antioxidants. Fresh vegetables encourage easy elimination by increasing the fiber deposit in the body.
- Health food like garlic and nuts: Garlic helps kick start the immune system, lower cholesterol and fight infection.
- Certain systems of exercise greatly encourage the anti aging process. Yoga, Tai Chi, Shiatsu, Pilates and meditation are just some of the ways in which aging can be defeated.
Aging is a natural process of the body. But the ingenious species that we are, we have discovered several anti aging techniques. True, these techniques are still in their infancy and they need rigorous control, care and discipline to be most effective.