Discover the best creams know for reducing cellulite symptoms…
Cellulite affects a large number of women all over the world, it’s a very common problem. The fact that it’s common doesn’t make it any less embarrassing of course. The good news is, by using the right treatments, cellulite can be reduced (and in some cases, you can get rid of it completely!)
Do creams work to get rid of cellulite?
Some of the cellulite creams available, have been shown to reduce the appearance and texture. However, creams alone cannot eliminate it.
The manufacturers don’t generally claim that their products can get rid of cellulite. Although I have seen false claims being made. But, generally, the creams are sold as a way to reduce the appearance of cellulite, and not to “rid” or “cure” it.
The common stimulate, Caffeine, is an active ingredient in many anti-cellulite creams. It works by acting as a diuretic and flushing out the body. It also aids increased flow of blood to the skin. The removal of moisture from the skin which should help to reduce “jiggly” fat. This effect is temporary, however.
Another common ingredient of cellulite creams is retinol. It works by penetrating the skin, exfoliating it, and enhancing the production of collagen, which thickens the skin and decreases the visibility of puckered fat.
A few cellulite creams also contain DMAE or Dimethylaminoethanol. It is an antioxidant found in fish, which, when mixed with amino acids, apparently promotes contraction of muscles resulting in firmer legs and thighs. However, this has not been proven.
Several kinds of creams contain a prescription drug called Aminophylline. There is no evidence, scientific or otherwise, to support the effectiveness of such creams on cellulite. In some cases, it’s said, it can even be detrimental to the health of the patient. Cellulite creams typically work by forcing out water from the skin and constricting the blood vessels; this can be deadly in individuals with circulatory issues. Additionally, some patients may suffer from allergic reactions to Aminophylline.
It is theorized that the creams change the water content present in the skin occurring above the fat, thereby altering the appearance of cellulite affected skin. However, only the prescription drug Retin-A, also known as tretinoin, has been scientifically found to do this.
Clinical studies show that Retin-A thickens the topmost layer of skin cells. When the upper skin layer is thicker then cellulite does not tend to prominently protrude out. They thus become less noticeable. The OTC version of Retin-A is retinol. However, the concentration of retinol needed to provide effective results on cellulite is still unknown.
Benefits of using cellulite creams
- They provide a non-surgical, painless, and affordable option to alleviate cellulite without causing any significant side effects. Most creams consist of varied ingredients such as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, glycol, and all natural products like herbs, aloe vera extracts, rosemary, guarana, and black pepper.
- They are easy to use and can be applied at home. As they are generally made with organic ingredients.
- Most cellulite creams help to tighten the skin and decrease the unsightly appearance. However, the affects are short-term and you will never get supple, toned, and smooth skin with this treatment alone.
Side effects of using cellulite creams
- The majority of creams cannot penetrate the dermis (the area where cellulite occurs). Most creams can only reach up to the epidermis and hence can only alter the appearance of cellulite affected skin, and cannot change the texture or remove it completely.
- There have been cases of creams that were advertised as a way to completely get rid of cellulite. However, many of these claims are unsubstantiated.
- Certain cellulite creams can cause skin irritations or allergic reactions. Hence, always check the label for ingredients. You may also use cellulite creams along with changes in your diet and daily exercising to decrease the risk to cellulite cream side effects.
While it should go without saying, you should check with your Doctor before using any cellulite reduction cream or other unnatural treatment.
The best anti-cellulite creams in the market
Please note, the word “best” is used relative to other creams available. Cellulite creams are not a very effective treatment, so please realize we are saying “best” in comparison to other creams. They certainly are not the best way to treat cellulite, but, based on user-reviews, these are the best creams available:
Top 3 Cellulite Creams:
Aveeno positively ageless firming body lotion: If you’re looking for an affordable anti-cellulite cream treatment, which is said to get results, then Aveeno may be right for you. The cream is said to work because it firms and moisturises the skin well, leaving it feeling soft, hydrated, and with regular applications, can reduce the appearance of cellulite. It has a light and pleasant scent so not to be overpowering, it absorbs very well indeed, and just one application is said to moisturise and hydrate the skin for the entire day. For best results it’s recommended you apply it first thing in a morning following a bath or shower, and last thing at night, again, following a bath or a shower.
Nivea skin firming hydration body lotion Q10 plus: The name Nivea is synonymous with skin care treatment so it should come as no surprise to learn that they made the top 3. The scent is pleasant but subtle, and the product itself is said to “works wonders” in a review. This lightweight moisturiser will firm, tone, and hydrate the skin, helping to reduce the sight of cellulite. With everyday use, results are claimed to become noticeable within a matter of weeks. For best results, use twice a day, first thing in the morning, and last thing at night before bed.
Palmer’s cocoa butter formula skin firming lotion: Cocoa butter is extremely beneficial for the skin and it’s the main ingredient in this product. It’s claimed that, stretch marks and cellulite will soon become a distant memory after a few weeks of regular applications of this lotion. It’s a luxurious moisturiser that leaves the skin feeling silky soft and smooth. It melts into the skin entirely and is not greasy or wet in the slightest. If you want firm, silky soft well hydrated youthful looking skin, this is most certainly the product you’ve been waiting for.
5 More Reviewed Creams:
- Clarins Body Lift Cellulite Control: It is a luxurious, premium, and functional product. The texture is creamy and lovely, but on application can produce cold tingly sensations. It effectively breaks down even stubborn cellulite quite early on.You may use the massage techniques and tips given by Clarins while using the product. You may not lose any inches, but the affected areas can begin to smooth after about a month of use.
- Etat Pur Pure Active A90: It is an easy to use product that smoothens cellulite affected skin. However, patients may need to use a lot of this cream to get some results. The changes may occur after a trial period of about 4 weeks. You may see a difference of about 1 inch; the skin will be firmer and somewhat less bumpy. Cellulite may however be still noticeable.
- Esthederm Svelt System Lipo-Slimming Serum: You may use this cream instead of a moisturizer every night. You may feel the difference after just one application. After use for about 4 weeks, it’s said, your skin will become firmer and tighter and the dimply effect of cellulite will become less visible.
- Soap & Glory The Firminator Special Bikini Body Firming Formula: It is reviewed as being a good cellulite cream, albeit on the sticky side. You may need to wait for a bit before finally putting on your tights. It yields best results when used along with exercises such as squats. You may not lose fat, but the skin will look a lot less dimpled and a lot smoother.
- Shiseido Advanced Body Creator-Super Slimming Reducer: This cellulite cream produces a cool tingling sensation on application, indicating that it has started its action of soothing the affected skin. This pink gel-cream spreads consistently to give an even effect. The odor, a spicy citrus, is also very pleasant. The cream has poria cocos extract as well as grapefruit oil which are known to produce fat burning proteins after application on the skin. The longer you use the product, the better the skin texture becomes!
Full disclosure: claims made above, are from product and cellulite cream review websites.