Artichoke Recipe #1: Steamed Artichokes and Roasted Vegetables with Aioli
Roasted vegetables are always a winner. During a cleanse they’re an especially satisfying taste of “normal life.” Throw in a steamed artichoke, and cap it off with a kickass aioli, and you’ve got a beautiful buffet of deliciousness. In the highly unlikely event that you’ve got leftover aioli, it will be fabulous slathered on a snack of raw veggies.
- 1⁄2 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 11⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove), plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 artichokes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 large zucchini, sliced lengthways and cut in half lengthways
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 10 to 15 stalks asparagus
To prepare the aioli, place the blanched slivered almonds in a small bowl, and pour just enough boiled water to cover them. Allow this mixture to soak for 10 minutes, then drain.
Throw the drained almonds into the blender with the remaining aioli ingredients, and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds until smooth and creamy. Tweak lemon juice to taste. Transfer this mixture
to the fridge to thicken while you cook the vegetables.
To prepare the artichokes, place two cups of vegetable broth in a large pot. Cut off the stems of the artichoke and place both artichokes stem down so that they are sitting in the broth. Bring the pot to a boil, and then reduce to a medium simmer, and allow the artichokes to cook with the lid on for about 40 minutes. You will know the artichokes are done when you place a knife in the bottom of the stem and there is no resistance.
To roast the vegetables, preheat your oven to 365°F (180°C). In a medium roasting dish toss the sweet potatoes, onions, zucchini, and asparagus, and bake for about 30 minutes until cooked through.
To serve, place 1 artichoke on the plate with half of the roasted vegetables and serve with half of the aioli.
Store the leftover artichoke and vegetables and aioli in two separate sealed containers in the fridge. Reheat in the oven to serve.