Bowen therapy is a remarkable holistic therapy that involves the whole body. It aims to balance and integrate all the energetic and physical systems of the body. Bowen Therapy was developed by Tom Bowen in the mid 1950s. It was developed in Australia and he alone treated over 13,000 patients per year. He had an amazing success rate of 85-90%.
Health Conditions Treated by Bowen Therapy
After his death, Tom Bowen’s techniques have been renamed Bowen Therapy. It is helpful in a wide range of situations:
- Musculo-skeletal pain such as pain from frozen shoulders and necks, back pain, arthritic pain, migraines, fibromyalgia etc.
- Respiratory problems like bronchitis, asthma, hay fever.
- Digestive disorders like colic and constipation,
- Gynecological problems like mastitis, infertility, breast lumps and pre-menstrual syndrome.
- Certain other conditions like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Tinnitus, prostatic problems, wetting, haemorrhoids, ear infections and recurring ear aches.
- Kidney problems, Liver and knee problems.
- Sciatica, Scoliosis, Tennis elbow and Thrush.
Bowen Therapy Process
Bowen therapy is a simple body balancing system that has met with phenomenal success. This therapy is based on the premise that the body becomes ill when the energy flowing through the body is blocked. Certain key points in the soft tissues of the body are gently worked upon. This stimulates the flow of energy and thereby releases tension, strain and blocks. This sets the body’s healing processes right, thus empowering the body to carry out its own healing.
The treatment is very gentle, relaxing and safe for all ages. The hard tissues are left alone; only the soft tissues are stimulated. Each session lasts for approximately 30-45 minutes. In many cases, long standing pain can be relieved in 3-5 sessions, though some cases may need more therapy.
Essentially, Bowen therapy believes that the body regularly performs its own balancing act which helps it remain in good health. When stress and tension upset this delicate balance the body protests and becomes ill. The theraphy seeks to restore this delicate balance only. The rest of the healing process is left to the body.
The therapy uses a kind of vibrational energy that makes the treatment safe for newborns as well as the elderly. In the process of healing, the therapist uses light cross-fibre maneuvers on the muscles, tendons and ligaments. There is no pulling or pushing. The therapist may leave the room intermittently to allow the muscles to make the necessary changes.
Bowen Therapy Cautions
After Bowen therapy, clients are advised to keep away from any other kind of physical therapy or manipulation for at least a week. Treatments like massage , chiropractic , acupuncture or kinesiology are to be strictly avoided during this period. Although all of these are non-invasive healing techniques, they may undo the balance the body gains from the theraphy. Patients are also advised to take some extra care during this period. These include:
- Avoid excessive cold or heat to the areas that have been treated. This means that cold packs or hot showers are taboo.
- Stop using electric blankets or the hot water bottle, as it upsets the natural temperature of the body.
- Take bath with lukewarm water ONLY.
- Avoid sitting for more than 30 minutes on the days of therapy.
- Walk as much as possible.
- Drink as much pure water as possible.
- Avoid stimulants like coffee and alcohol.
Certain reactions like hot and cold flushes, headaches and emotional releases are quite natural and are proof that the therapy is working.