There are many medical, surgical, and traditional methods to treat cellulite. Some home remedies for cellulite are discussed below. It may however be noted that the remedies may not help completely eliminate cellulite, but can definitely help reduce the unusual appearance of affected skin.
1. The Diet
- Cellulite is often associated with unhealthy eating habits, especially intake of processed and junk foods. Extreme and frequent crash dieting is another common cause. Cellulite appearance can be efficiently reduced by eating a healthy and regular diet comprising of proteins and green vegetables.
- Gelatin helps tighten loose skin, aids its growth, and is a fine source of dietary collagen. The proteins and amino acids present in it help in building muscles. Thus, intake of gelatin in the diet can help improve the look of cellulite.
- Some studies have suggested that intake of fat soluble vitamins and Omega-3 fatty acids can help decrease cellulite.
- Maca, Raspberry Leaf tea and Flax seed are used in herbal remedies for reducing the both the texture and also the appearance.
- Green tea helps in burning fat, increases the metabolic rate, aids blood flow, and stops the manufacture of fat-absorbing enzymes. Drinking 2 to 3 cups of green tea is recommended.
- Drink lots of water and keep the body sufficiently hydrated to reduce cellulite. You may also opt for watermelons, cucumbers, and other such fruits and veggies that are rich in water content.
2. Regular Exercising
- Exercising improves metabolism leading to faster burning of fats, enhances circulation leading to glowing skin, and firms and tones the body leading to a reduction in dimples. An active life comprising of regular exercising like weight training and cardio can thus help decrease cellulite.
- Kettlebells help workout the thighs, hips, stomach, and buttocks and also increase the flow of blood to these regions. It also plays a role in burning fat and building muscles. Kettlebells are one of the more efficient methods to get rid of cellulite.
- Stress is one of the most common causes of hormonal changes in the body. Regular exercise is one of the best stress busters there is. Hence, being active will lead to less stress and less hormonal imbalances, thereby alleviating cellulite.
Full disclosure: these are the believed benefits of massages and oils. However, much of the claimed benefits are unsubstantiated by scientific studies.
- Myofascial massage: As per a theory, cellulite develops in a fibrous connective tissue layer called superficial fasciawhich lies under the skin containing fat cells. Improper exercise, injuries, and lack of activity can cause this layer to become dimpled, coarse, and less flexible. Myofascial release or myofascial massage helps smoothen this connective tissue layer, thereby correcting the bumpy appearance of cellulite. You may visit a massage therapist or use a deep tissue foam roller for myofascial massage.
- Essential oils: Cellulite appearance can also be reduced by massaging the affected regions with essential oils like rosemary, juniper, etc. The massage will stimulate the skin cells, firm up the area, and remove the toxins, while the emollients moisturize the skin and make it soft.
- Juniper oil: It excites and toughens the connective tissue leading to firming up of the skin and reduction of cellulite. Mix almond oil or olive oil with juniper oil and massage on a daily basis for efficient cellulite reduction. Pregnant women and allergic persons must consult a doctor before using this oil.
- Cypress oil: It helps the blood flow, decrease varicose veins, and alleviates water retention. Its combination with olive or almond oil can be used to massage the affected areas.
- Grapefruit oil: It helps tone up the body, improve the functioning of the lymphatic system, and eliminate toxins present in the body. The pleasant odor is welcome addition. Mix a few drops of grapefruit oil to almond or coconut oil or other such carrier oils and then massage the cellulite affected regions for around 5 to 10 minutes.
- Coconut oil: It can be mixed with an essential oil, or used as a standalone massage oil on the affected areas. It helps tighten the skin and makes it silky and very soft. You may dry bush the cellulite affected regions first and then massage with coconut oil for best results.
- Stones, body scrubs, brushes, and other exfoliant agents are used as remedies for cellulite. They help remove the body’s dead skin cells and enhance blood flow, thereby giving the skin a glowing and smooth look.
- Dry brushing: It stimulates the lymphatic system to flush out toxins; sloughs away dry skin on regions like the ankles, elbows, and knees; aids circulation and cell renewal; facilitates tightening of skin; opens up the pores in the body; and helps kidney and digestive functioning. All of these contribute towards a healthier body and improvement in skin texture and tone, thereby leading to reduction of cellulite. Use a brush with natural bristles for dry brushing. Ensure that the bristles are slightly stiff, but not hard. Make sure that the skin is dry before you commence brushing. Take long sweeps of the brush in the direction of the heart. Do not scrub, or move in circular motions, or back and forth. Begin from the feet and gradually move towards the chest area. After dry brushing take a hot shower, tap dry, and while the pores are still open use natural coconut oil to moisturize your skin. This is an easy, natural, cheap, and non-invasive way to effectively remove cellulite and enhance skin health.
- Coffee scrub: Coffee or caffeine is commonly present in most anti-cellulite creams. It is known for reducing water retention and increasing circulation. Combine coffee grounds, melted coconut oil, and cane sugar to create a paste. Use mildly firm pressure to apply the scrub on cellulite affected regions.
- Brown sugar scrub: It gets rid of dead skin cells, improves blood supply, and adds a glow to the skin. Brown sugar is coarse. Hence avoid use this scrub on your face. You can make this scrub at home by mixing sea salt and sugar and then soaking it in almond oil, olive oil, and lavender oil. Gently scrub the affected areas in a circular motion for about 5 minutes to get best results. The oils nourish and moisturize the skin, while sugar and sea salt exfoliate it.
- Detox baths: The accumulation of toxins in the body is also linked with cellulite. Thus, detox baths will not only eliminate/decrease toxins and cellulite from the body, but will also relax and re-energize you.
- Other scrubs: Use natural moisturizers instead of beauty products that are full of chemicals.
- A mixture of apple cider vinegar, honey, and water can be used to alleviate the appearance of cellulite. Rinse with warm water after use.
- Tomatoes are abundant in lycopene, a substance which prevents skin collagen breakdown. Hence, tomato paste can also act as an effective home remedy for cellulite.
5. Body wraps
- Body wraps are not only one of the best and most comforting beauty treatments, but are also considered as a great way to effectively reduce cellulite. The wrappings help tone up the skin, while the included clays suck in the toxins. This detoxifying and relaxing technique will however be largely successful only if you are quite adept at wrapping yourself. Banding the body, particularly the arms, can be quite problematic. The process can also create a mess. Additionally, since body wraps have to be worn for about an hour, users also need to have lots of patience.
- Coffee body wraps: Combine caffeinated coffee grounds with olive oil and make it into a paste. Apply on cellulite affected areas and bandage tightly with a plastic wrap, albeit not too tightly. You may also wrap the area with hot towels. Remove after 5 to 10 minutes, take a warm bath, and later moisturize the skin. The coffee will tighten the skin while olive oil will nourish it.
- Seaweed-clay body wraps: Take a pan and boil 3 cups of water in it. Later, add seaweed powder, bentonite clay, and olive oil and then mix thoroughly. Dry brush the body and after the clay mixture has cooled down apply it on the cellulite affected areas in a circular motion. You may then bandage the area, not too tightly but not too loose as well. Stay in a warm room for about an hour and then remove the body wrap. Take a warm shower and then moisturize the skin with a mild lotion. The seaweed provides nourishment to the skin, while clay detoxifies and purifies the skin.
- Essential oil body wraps: Essential oils can cause allergic reactions and so please consult a doctor before using them. Ensure that the oils are diluted with a carrier oil. Do not use more than 5 different essential oils to prepare this body wrap. Mix a few drops of juniper, fennel, and grapefruit oils along with geranium into a cup or two of almond oil. Exfoliate the skin and then liberally apply the essential oils mix on the cellulite affected areas. Bandage with a plastic wrap and stay in a warm room. After taking out the wrap, shower twice, first with warm water and then with cold water. It is vital to ensure that the ingredients of this body wrap are of good quality, natural, pure, and deficient of impurities.