Guava is a nutritious fruit that contains Vitamin C, cartoenoids, folate, potassium, fiber, calcium and iron.
The edible rind contains five times more Vitamin C than oranges.
It’s free of cholesterol, fat and calories, but high in fiber.
Some studies show a lower risk of cancer in people who eat more foods rich in dietary fiber, cartoenoids and Vitamin C.
They come in shapes such as round or like a pear. The coloration is usually yellow, green or water pink.
Generally eaten whole yet it’s used in a variety of ways. It can be
used to flavor sauces and drinks, to make candy, jam, preserves, and
Health Benefits Of Guava
It contains quercetin, an antioxidant which blocks enzymes responsible for building sorbitol, the sugar that forms the cloudy, white clusters that cause cataracts.
Its soluble fiber forms a gel coating that helps food glide easily through the intestines. This helps relieve indigestion.
It’s rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that increases our skin’s natural UV protection. Lycopene also cuts the risk of sun induced spots and wrinkles.
It’s also folate rich, which fights bad breath that causes gum disease gingivitis. Folic acid helps regenerate cells which fights the unhealthy bacteria.
Shrimp Stir Fry
Ingredients and Instructions:
- Prepare 1 box of Couscous with toasted pine nuts (follow directions on box)
- In a hot skillet, cook 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced for 3 minutes stirring often.
- Add 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, and 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup each guava jelly and water, stirring until shrimp and vegetables are well coated.
- Spoon shrimp mixture over couscous and serve.
Makes 6 servings.