The Perfect Healthy Lunch Recipe
Writing this recipe for you transported me back to our year-long adventure in Arusha, Tanzania.
In 2013, Gerhardt and I packed one bag each and moved to the city known as the Gateway to the Serengeti.
One thing that took me by surprise was how different the grocery shopping was.
Every week we bought fresh produce from a family-run farm in West Kilimanjaro. They delivered fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs to the farmers’ house in town a few times a week.
We would handpick dirt covered sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots and rosemary from plastic crates. Each bunch would then get weighed in a wonky silver bowl. And the assistant would calculate what you owed them.
We often walked away with 3 overloaded shopping bags for less than $10.
When we moved back to South Africa I realised I was missing something. Our grocery stores have everything cleaned, packaged and even chopped. But I missed the simplicity of washing dirt off potatoes that were harvested yesterday.
Going back to the source gave me a renewed sense of awe and inspiration. Thinking back to that magical time is what sparked this dish.
Roasted Sweet Potato & Cauliflower Salad with Mint Yogurt Dressing
Vibrant sweet potato and cauliflower salad roasted with cumin, paprika and garlic. This salad is best served immediately with a topping of toasted nuts and a drizzle of the mint, lime and chilli dressing. It works as a meal on its own or as a healthy side for roast chicken or steak.
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/3 cup raw mixed nuts
- 5 sprigs mint
- 1 lime
- 1 green chilli
- 3 tablespoons natural Greek yoghurt
Ingredients Salad 1 small head cauliflower 1/2 teaspoon cumin 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 medium sweet potato 1/2 teaspoon paprika 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1 cup baby spinach 1/3 cup raw mixed nuts salt pepper Dressing 5 sprigs mint 1 lime 1 green chilli 3 tablespoons natural Greek yoghurt salt pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC / 350 ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets. In a large bowl, mix the cauliflower florets with the cumin, a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place the cauliflower on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Peel the sweet potato and chop into 2.5 cm / 1 inch cubes. In a large bowl, toss the sweet potato with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place the sweet potato on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool down for 5 minutes.
- Remove the mint leaves from the stem and add the leaves to a blender. Squeeze in the juice of a lime, add the yogurt, green chilli and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until it forms a smooth green dressing.
- Heat a dry frying pan to a medium-high heat. Add the whole mixed nuts and stir/toss them for 1-2 minutes. Once they become golden brown, remove them from the pan and set aside for 5 minutes. Once they’ve cooled, use a pestle and mortar to break the nuts into smaller pieces. Or you can place the nuts in a plastic bag and give it a bash with a rolling pin.
- When you’re ready to serve, combine the sweet potato, cauliflower and spinach in a large bowl. Serve individual portions and top with the mint dressing, fresh chilli and toasted nuts.