Sunday, May 26, 2019

Living Wills and Other Advance Directives


How to see that your wishes are respected if accident or illness leaves you unable to look out for yourself.

Advance directives let people explain what kind of medical treatment they want — or do not want — if illness or accident leaves them unable to communicate or make decisions.

There are two types of advance directives: the living will and durable power of attorney. Both are written, legal documents. You can create one by yourself or with a lawyer. The forms vary from state to state. You can cancel or change anything in the document at any time.

With a living will, you write down all your thoughts about your care and treatment. You can share decisions about feeding tubes, being kept alive on a respirator and being given cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

With a durable power of attorney, you choose another person to make medical decisions if you cannot. A durable power of attorney says: If I am not able to make health-care decisions for myself, then I want a surrogate to make those decisions for me. The surrogate (or agent) is usually, but not always, a family member.

Having both a living will and a durable power of attorney for health care is best. The more specific you are when writing a living will, the easier it will be for the person you chose to act as your surrogate to fulfill your end-of-life wishes.

In 1990, Congress enacted the Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA). This law ensures that patients are informed of their right to prepare advance health-care directives.

Even if you are in good health, you should discuss end-of-life treatment and care directives with your spouse, family members, doctors, nurses and clergy. This will ease the pressures that occur when decisions must be made, especially if you don’t have an advance directive yet.

Although more people are using advanced directives, some people avoid them because of a terrible misconception. They think that if their living will says they don’t want life-sustaining treatment that they will not be given medical care. This is not correct. You will be given full medical care.


To find more information about living wills and advance directives, as well as state-by-state appropriate forms, visit the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization or Living Will Registry web sites or contact them directly at:

National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
1700 Diagonal Road
Suite 625
Alexandria, VA 22314
Fax: (703) 837-1233
Toll-free: 1-800-658-8898
E-mail: [email protected]
Web site:

U.S. Living Will Registry
523 Westfield Ave.
P.O. Box 2789
Westfield, NJ 07091-2789
Toll-free: (800) LIV-WILL (800-548-9455)
E-mail: [email protected]
Web site:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Medically trained in the UK. Writes on the subjects of injuries, healthcare and medicine. Contact me [email protected]

Leptin & Losing Weight

Your body manufactures a hormone that can help you to eat normally and maintain your ideal weight - that is, if you...

WHO recommendation on trans fats and saturated fats

The World Health Organization or WHO recommendation is that intake of trans fat should not exceed 1 percent of the total...

Lemon Health Drink for Liver Detox

People who do not look good, even young people who seem tired and aged, have cells that lack nutrition. Their energy levels are...

Vitamin E and C Benefits

Vitamin E and C are incredible nutrients. They are some of the most powerful antioxidants and they have a myriad of...

Eye Allergy: Burning Blood-Shot Eyes?

Having eye allergies that make your eyes water and itch all the time are definitely not fun! When most...

Osteoporosis Solution

The wrong Osteoporosis solution If you keep losing money, what is the solution? A. Stop...