Pesto Soup Recipe for Detox
Pesto magically transforms any humble veggie soup. Our spin on the classic alchemizes lemon and miso to conjure up the traditional parmesan flavor. Stirred into your bowlful of this combination of vegetables, a vibrant green, alkalizing dollop brings on detox dining delirium!
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion 1⁄2 cup diced celery (2 ribs)
- 11⁄2 cups peeled and diced carrots
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups firmly packed baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to serve
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup firmly packed basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove), plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, plus more to taste
To make the soup, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots,and1⁄4 teaspoonofsalt, and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the zucchini, broth, and remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Increase the heat to high, bring the soup to a boil, and then lower the heat to medium-high and cook at a lively simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the vegetables are just cooked. Remove the soup from the heat, and stir in the spinach, allowing it to wilt.
To make the pistou, throw all of the pistou ingredients into your blender and blast on high for
30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and well combined. Tweak lemon juice, garlic, and salt to taste.
Stir the pistou into the soup, add the lemon juice and pepper to taste. Ladle out your desired portion, and store the remaining soup in a sealed container in the fridge.