A Good Beginning…
Will I have a healthy baby?
Will my baby be born with some kind of sickness?
Certain things related to your health could put your unborn baby in danger. Some of these things include drinking alcohol, taking drugs, smoking, dieting, and poor health practices.
- Alcohol is a drug and can hurt your body.
- Alcohol can hurt your unborn baby.
- Because a baby is inside you, when you drink alcohol, the baby drinks alcohol, too.
- A baby born to a mother who drinks alcohol can have brain damage or heart problems.
- The baby may also be smaller and lighter in weight than a normal baby.
- Nobody knows how much alcohol is too much.
- As soon as you think you are going to have a baby, talk to your doctor about safe drugs.
- Only use drugs that your doctor says you can use.
- Drugs such as cocaine and amphetamines can hurt the baby inside you.
Using drugs can cause:
- Still birth
- Growth problems
- Low birth-weight babies
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Heart problems
- Behavior problems
- Birth defects
- Smoking can stop blood flowing from a mother to her unborn baby.
- The baby can’t get food or get rid of waste.
- A smoking women may not put on weight while pregnant, and this hurts the baby trying to grow inside her.
- If you smoke, you could have a low birth weight baby.
- A low birth weight baby has many health risks.
- Some popular diets are not good for a women having a baby.
- Some examples are low sugar diets, high meat diets, diets where you don’t eat, and liquid meat diets.
- If you are heavy at the same time you are having a baby, do not try new diets, and do not take off weight.
- A women on a diet may cause her baby to be smaller and lighter in weight.
- Dieting during pregnancy, even for a short time, is harmful to your unborn baby.
- If you don’t eat meat, you may need help in planning your meals.
- It’s important to include milk, other dairy foods, and eggs in your diet. These foods are good substitutes for meat.
- You may also need to take a vitamin B-12 pill.
- Talk to a doctor or registered dietitian about the food you eat.
- Most foods from the Food Guide Pyramid should have plenty of vitamins and other things needed for the good health of you and your baby.
- If you are having a baby, your doctor may want you to have extra vitamins in your diet.
- Drinking too much coffee, more than eight cups a day, is not good for your unborn baby.
- Stay away from drinking a lot of cola beverages. Too much sugar can cause your baby to become fat. If you are having a baby, think about what you eat and drink.
A good start is important for your unborn baby.