It is the time of year for new beginnings and fresh starts, particularly in the area of healthier living. The thought of starting an intense exercise and healthier eating program can be overwhelming.
One way to take the first step toward healthier living is to incorporate a small food change into your routine once a day. This can be in the form of a healthy weight loss shake that you can make yourself and is delicious and filling. Or it can be any one of the other ideas on this page to start losing weight and getting your body into it’s best shape!
Billions of dollars are being spent each year on weight loss products. The desire to loose weight has captured not only those who wish for rapid weight loss for their next vacation but also those who understand the importance of eating right and having a healthy body.
Obesity, defined as a body mass index greater then 28, increases the chance of getting other conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and blood clots. If you are someone who has excess weight that you could loose then look at the weight loss tips below to put you on the road to a healthier you.
Ways to Start Losing Weight Fast
1/ Exercise – is the thought of going to a gym to work out a deterrent? Opt for your own “free” customized workout instead where you ride a bike, take a walk, use the stairs instead of elevator, and park farther out in parking lots. Start slowly then work up to doing some form of cardiovascular exercise for at least 30 minutes three times a week.
2. Drink Water – most of us could increase our water intake daily. It is recommended that we drink at least 6 – 8 glasses of water a day which helps flush toxins from our body, moisturize our skin, and keep our bodies hydrated. If you do not like plain water consider squeezing lemon in it to give a little zest to its taste. *You must first consult with your physician if you have heart failure or a condition which would restrict your fluid intake.
3. Increase nutritional intake – substitute one “junk” food a week with an extra serving of a fresh fruit or vegetable. Fruits and vegetables are rich in nutrients that our bodies need to stay healthy and energized. The recommended amount to eat daily is five servings.
4. Cut out the soda and sugary drink products – soda
and other sugar containing drinks including tea or coffee with loads of
sugar are high in calories. These calories are “empty” in that they do
not deliver nutrient rich food to our body.
5. Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCD) – typically performed under the direct supervision of a physician. This type of diet must be accompanied by an educational behavioral modification program so that the weight is not gained back at the completion of the diet program.
6. Healthy weight loss shakes and supplements – substitute one shake or supplement daily with a meal to help decrease your total caloric intake.
7. Colonic detoxification – many people note the
difference after having toxins removed from their colon (intestine) by
either an enema, hydration therapy or by fasting.
8. Medication therapy – Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved medications such as Meridia, Adipex, and Alli target weight loss in obese patients. Side effects may be experienced while taking these medications so they should only be taken under the care of a medical provider.
9. Sleep – adequate sleep is essential for your body to rest and reenergize and do the work of healing.
10. Decrease Stress – stress can cause an increase in addictive behaviors such as overeating. Find ways to minimize stress where possible so that you can continue on your quest to find a healthier you.
Effective weight loss programs that are not hard to follow combine good snacks and reasonable goals. There are risks of having rapid weight loss can include irritability, headaches, dehydration, gallstones, malnutrition. Talk with your medical provider about any symptoms that you may be experiencing. Develop healthy eating patterns such as HCG Diets with weight loss benefits.
5 Healthy Weight Loss Shake Recipes
Five servings of fruits and vegetables are recommended daily so that we can achieve a nutritional balance. This is hard to achieve in an on the go pace that many of us have. We have adopted the habit of stopping by a fast food drive through to grab a burger or kids meal which have little to no nutritional value. Children tend to also mirror the habits of adults and start to also crave fast food or grab as you go snacks. Homemade shakes provide a solution by not only giving us the nutrition that our bodies need but can be made to order quickly and taken on the go.
Take a look at these delicious easy to prepare healthy recipes for Shakes:
Add one cup of low-fat yogurt to a blender. Add four medium size strawberries with tops removed and one banana. Add 3 teaspoons of honey. You may also add one scoop of protein powder. For a thinner consistency also add 5 ice cubes (I like mine without ice cubes). Blend for 20 seconds or until desired consistency. Any leftover shake can be out into the freezer for a frozen treat later on.
Vegetable shakes are also very popular and deliver a high amount of nutrients. Try adding your favorite vegetable to a juicer after removing the top layer of skin that may have some chemicals on it. Add a cup of low-fat yogurt. Consider adding one teaspoon of lemon to help with the taste.
Orange Juice Shake
Add 6 oz of orange juice to a blender with ½ cup of low-fat yogurt and ½ cup of skim milk. Next add ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract and ice cubes to help with the consistency. I also like to add 2 teaspoons of honey for a sweeter taste.
Blend 2 scoops of protein powder with ¾ cup of pineapple (fresh pineapple ideal). Add 10 ounces of water. May also add five ice cubes if thinner consistency desired.
Add ½ mango, peeled to a blender with one cup of low-fat yogurt. Add one scoop of protein powder and blend. Ice cubes may be added for a thinner consistency.