I hope you are having a fun and festive Valentine’s Day. I know I am! Justin and I are taking the day to go out and do things we love, like visiting bookstores, and searching for raw food treats in unexpected places!
Valentine’s Day can be a day full of poor food decisions, or it can be a time to take a moment to realize how decadent and luxurious raw food can be!
For example, Justin and I have been snacking on thinly cut apples over the last few days as a “late night snack”. It is light, refreshing, and fun! We have been eating our apples with some other raw goodies, and sparkling water as a special treat.
Justin’s favorite fruit is the strawberry, and I was tempted to get him some as a Valentine’s treat. Then both of us remembered how we got strawberries last year, only to be disappointed with lame, tasteless strawberries. I picked up some mangoes instead, and they have been delicious! Not quite a strawberry, but I promise to make it up to Justin when strawberry season comes around in a few months.
Here are some quick ideas on how to make this Valentine’s Day one that is raw and delicious!
Seven Valentine’s Day Ideas for Raw Foodists:
- Create fruity finger food! Cut up fresh fruit into bite sized pieces, and serve on a pretty plate. If desired, you can serve the fruit with some sort of dip or pudding (Karen’s or Raw Food Real World’s Chocolate Pudding recipes would be perfect for this!)
- Tell someone you love them by serving them a large delicious green salad. Serve the salad with a fancy sounding dressing (like pomegranate poppy seed, or strawberry balsamic) and dress the salad with a sprinkle of your favorite raw nuts, or some fresh fruit.
- Treat your special someone (or even just yourself!) to a raw food restaurant. If you have enough time to travel, drive to a new raw food restaurant that you haven’t been to before
- Make a smoothie for someone special before they leave for work or school. Remember, you can do this any time of year, and they will be sure to appreciate it!
- Buy your loved one’s favorite fruit, and put the fruit in a little basket or small box with tissue paper. They may be thinking your present will have chocolate inside, but once they see fresh, ripe, juicy fruit…their heart will melt from your thoughtfulness.
- How about ditch the food idea all together! Instead of focusing on food, focus on an experience. Take your sweetheart to a museum, a music concert, the theater, or shopping at their favorite store. Drive them to a gardening store and look at all the plants growing for spring! It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, it just has to be a little out of the ordinary. Even a drive out to the country would be a refreshing change of pace!
- Want to really say “I Love You”? Find a bed and breakfast that has rooms with a kitchenette. Surprise your love by taking them to a suite filled with fresh fruit, bright leafy greens, pure water, two champagne glasses…and a blender. Whip up some smoothies and both of you will be on cloud nine
- Last but not least, buy your loved one some raw chocolate. There are many brands out there to choose from! Granted, it is Valentine’s Day right now and it may be tough to find raw chocolate at your nearest store… so plan ahead and surprise them sometime soon!
I believe Valentine’s Day can be any day of the year, and it can also be on every day of the year!
Happy Valentine’s Day!