Liver cancer can be the primary cancer or metastatic from another cancer source in the body. It is the most common form of cancer in the world, but is less prevalent in the United States, but the number of cases is on the rise in the US.
Signs and Symptoms
The symptoms that indicate a potential for liver cancer include:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Loss of Appetite
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Abdominal Pain – Upper abdominal pain
- Abdominal bloating
- General weakness and Fatigue
- Enlargement of the liver
- Yellow discoloration of the skin or eyes or both
If you are experiencing these symptoms you should make an appointment to be examined by your physician.
Commonly Overlooked Symptoms
Women sometimes disregard symptoms that could indicate liver cancer as general female body aches. You should never shrug off some of these symptoms.
- Excessive fatigue or weakness – This is not only a sign of liver cancer, but could also indicate another form of cancer or illness. Women tend to attribute their fatigue to their busy days and hectic lives. If you are weak and fatigued without any explanation, do not ignore it. Talk to your doctor.
- Abdominal bloating – A sign of liver cancer, also a sign of ovarian cancer. Women do not always become concerned when their jeans don’t fit just right anymore, they attribute their bloating to PMS and water weight.
- Feeling of fullness, lack of appetite – Another sign of liver cancer and ovarian cancer. This can be a sign of serious illness and you should not ignore it.
- Unexplained weight loss – Some women are happy to notice a weight loss without the diet and exercise routine. This is not a good thing. If you are losing weight and have not made any changes to your diet or exercise regimen you need to see your physician. Unexplained weight loss is an early sign of many cancers, including liver and other digestive cancers.
- Stomach upset – Women tend to ignore upset stomachs and just treat the symptoms and continue with their lives. Stomach cramping and frequent stomach upset can indicate liver cancer, colorectal cancer and other serious conditions.
Women & Liver Cancer
As you read did you notice that almost every sign of liver cancer is something that most women pass off as a symptom of something else? Many women put off seeing a doctor until the cancer is too advanced to treat. Do not continue to ignore warning signs. Do not delay a diagnosis of liver cancer until it is too late to treat, pay attention to the symptoms and talk to your physician.