Anamnesis: The patient (age 47) has 3 titanium screws after an hallux valgus operations. As prevention to menopause, she takes oral contraceptive. She is also smoker. Six months after operation she start experiencing:
- Powerlessness in the legs
- Very tired
- A feeling such as “burned out” (low energy)
- Permanent Inflammations
- Frequent colds (only treatment with antibiotics)
- Rheumatic factor increases
- Increase in inflammations parameter
- Generally more symptoms under stress conditions
My Recommendation & Individual Dosage in this Case
This case was unclear to me for a long time. Unfortunately the most of german doctors have no knowledge about this. Many of them have several patients with same symptoms, but they don’t know the cause for it. I found out that all these patients had titanium implantats (f.e. dental implantats) or titanium screw some where in the body. Titanium allergy were negative. I wrote to researchers all over the world, especially USA and searched for possible answers. So I found out that titanium as many similar compounds, decreases the activity of macrophages and probably the immune system as well.
I proposed a treatment with Betaglucan in order to increase significantly the activity of macrophages and consequently it would restore/improve her immune system. Meanwhile is my opinion in this case that the material titanium may induce a low stress resistance. The stress resistance of our body has a very low individual parameter. Too low stress resistance is bad because our immune system is a very important “control center” of stress. In case of low stress resistance, we can be sure that our immune system is down. The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis is the middle point of stress. The immune system watches & guides this axis. It is our own protecting wall (guard wall) against viruses, bacteria and parasites and any other enemy that our body may get assaulted with.
In the Morning:
- 100 mg zinc (as amino acid chelate), Sustained Release
- 50 mg coenzyme form vitamin B6 (as pyridoxin-5-phosphate)
- 400 mg magnesium (as citrate)
- 675 mg Ester C
- 250 mg WGP Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan (at least 75 % purified quality)
Evenings (8.00 P.M.):
- 100 mg zinc (as picolinate)
- 50 mg coenzyme form vitamin B6)
- 250 mg WGP Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan (at least 75 % purified quality)
- 675 mg Ester C
Background Information in this Case
My first tests (“experiments”) to treatment was the immune booster arabinogalactan (+ zinc, vitamins B-complex and C, trace mineral complex without copper). It is ideal for stress, especially long term and it gives the immune system natural power. After a few days the patient had more energy (generally body-power). The symptoms, especially the pains and powerlessness in the legs were better, but not for all 24 hours. We had with immunmodulator Betaglucan as treatment base other results. The patient had powder (under stress in the daily work as well) and no pain although reducing zinc 200 mg/day to 50 mg/day.
Coincidence? No, after some weeks I stopped WGP Betaglucan and gave her arabinogalactan again. The success proceeded (went on). The patient was still good but she started having some complaints. After some days I gave her WGP Betaglucan again and all the complaints disappeared, inflammations and cold too. After a treatment with 200 mg/d, blend of trace minerals (copper-free) and 50 mg/d pyridoxin-5-phosphate (P-5-P) her trouble disappeared.
Every time I reduced the amount of zinc she started having troubles again.After adding to her treatment beta-1,3/1,6-D-glucane I could reduce the amount of zinc. 50 mg/d were enough and all the troubles disappeared.
My questions in this case was: what kind of connection is between beta-glucane and titanium sensibility? Why does beta-glucane positively reduce the amount of zinc and all the troubles disappear?
Meanwhile I have been told that titanium reduces the activity of macrophages therefore the immunity system will weaken and can break down especially when the patient has chronic stress or/and nutrition-deficiency etc.
According to Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, USA, the activity of macrophages increases about 60 % 24 h after taking beta-1,3/1,6-d-glucane. This may be the explanation for the positive action of beta-glucane on the constant power of the body.
Vitamin C: This vitamin is a typically anti-stress vitamin. It is very important for short term stress situations, but also in long term stress phases. I prefer these forms of vitamin C such as Ester C and Ascorbyl-Palmitate.
The natural metabolites of ester C provide quicker absorption and longer retention than the other form of vitamin C such as ascorbic acid. Ester C is an acid neutralized form of vitamin C with non-irritating effect on the digestive system.
In this case study I preferred vitamin C as a proprietary combination of ascorbyl palmitate and mineral ascorbate such as calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium and ginger for a better utilizing. Ester C is a natural boost for zinc, vitamin B6 and Betaglucane.
Energy-Centrum ATP & Magnesium: Magnesium is the most important mineral in our body. Around 86 % of all the magnesium is found in the bones (60 %) and to 26 % in the muscles. The rest is in brain, heart, liver, kidney and body fluids. All forms of stress are known as magnesium burner. Magnesium is the activator of many enzymes requiring ATP the main energy releasing agent of the body. ATP stands for adenosine triphosphate and is our “energy centrum”. Energy/Power is important (“essential”) for some functions such as the:
- cyclic contraction of cardiac muscle
- other muscular contraction f.e. skeletal muscle
- central and peripheral nervous system
- cellular energy
- lung function
- cellular immune enhancement (important i.a. for NK-cells)
Betaglucan: This is a natural food-based dietary supplement purified from the cell wall of baker’s yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae). Betaglucan is for me the best or most favourable natural dietary supplement for detoxification and the patients have a real chance for a better life quality & health conditions. Betaglucan operates as immunmodulator and at the same time is a good antioxidant. But the purified quality must be at least 75 %. That is very important for good effect.
Pyridoxin-5-Phosphate: This is the coenzyme form of vitamin B6. Vitamin B6, especially as P-5-P is an important boost for zinc and magnesium. If your body has a lack of coenzyme vitamin B6 then has the body problem with zinc as well. P-5-P the activated form of vitamin B6 is the best form in order to derive the maximum vitamin B6 benefits.
- Metabolising energy
- Creating neurotransmitters such as serotonine
- Hormone-balance (included stress hormones)
- Metabolism of amino acids, vitamins
- Strengthen the immune system
Vitamin B6 is ideal for these conditions:
- People under stress (the best is a vitamin B complex)
- People taking f.e. anti-rheumatic drugs, antibiotics
- Women taking oral contraceptive (birth control pills)
My Personal Lines of thought and Theories over Vitamin B6 and Magnesium in this Case:
- A Magnesium and vitamin B6 (P-5-P, the activated form) deficit reduce the ATP production.
- But low ATP production may reduce NK-cells.
- The stress resistance may down.
- Low ATP causes fatigue/general malaise (low energy).
Zinc: It is very important for our immune system and his many functions are required every single day. Zinc helps strengthen the immune system which as we know is our body key defense against infection and disease. It can help promote wound healing (a wound is stress for the body). This mineral protect as against heavy metals f.e. such as cadmium or lead, but titanium as well. Zinc activates the enzyme level SOD (super oxid dismutase) and may protect as against free radicals. Free radicals are special molecules which reduces the antioxidant potential in the body. Stress may cause lowered antioxidants level and this can cause generally a low stress resistance.
My Personal Lines of thought and Theories over Zinc in this Case:
- Medical drugs such as oral contraceptives or other hormones can increase level of copper and consequently zinc decreases. The patient in this case took birth control pill.
- After dietary supplements with copper or copper-rich foods the patient experienced more symptoms.
- Copper has directly contact to epinephrine (stress hormone) and it would increase the level of stress hormone. Because copper is opposite to zinc just like a see-saw.
- As reaction is decrease of zinc.
- A zinc deficit reduces NK-cells.
- Low NK-cells reduce the generally stress resistance.
My Experiences in this Case
We are all human beings but each human being is a special individual. Some people may become titanium-induced low stress resistance and symptoms, other people have no problems and consequences with titanium particles.
Which people may be more sensible to titanium-induced low stress-resistance?
- People with titanium implantats/screws f.e. dental or bone/anywhere in the body
- People with chronic cold/infection
- People with generally low immune resistance
- MCS and generally chemical sensible people
- Stress, especially chronic stress (heavy metal, high copper-induced stress etc.)
- People with chronic diseases, especially involved with immune system
- People with high consume of ingredients such as ready food, sweets, dietary supplements, cosmetics, tooth paste, medical drugs. All of them contain titanium oxide
What kind of negative effects may titanium particles have on the immune system?
- Titanium particles may increase secretion of pro-inflammatory mediators
- May decrease macrophage activity
- May increase macrophage activity
According to some American studies researchers, particles of titanium increase secretion of pro-inflammatory mediators and increase macrophage activity. On the other side some of researchers all over the world say that the macrophage activity decreases.
WGP Betaglucan operates as immunmodulator therefore I can understand why patient’s response is very good to this treatment. WGP Betaglucan is for me the base of treatment in case of titanium-induced low stress resistance.