Can I just say that I love all of you? I mean in the way a blogger can just love the people who stop by, I suppose. But really, I love vegans A LOT. I love that we love food – real food that didn’t cause any harm to another creature, and food that didn’t cause more harm to the world or to our bodies. We’re a pretty awesome bunch of people, if you ask me.
I love talking about food – mostly because I think it’s a shame that
so many people cringe at the word vegan. It’s sad to me that so many
into thinking that if you are vegan you must not enjoy food or you must
only eat ice-burg lettuce with lemon juice. I’ve been to a lot of
gatherings of people who look at food called ‘vegan’ with disdain. (only
to be shocked when, not only did they NOT gag, they enjoyed it)
True story: I took some friends out to lunch to a vegan place, she ordered a lemonade (as in lemons and sugar mostly) and when it got to the table she looked at it and said “someone else is going to have to try this first, I’m not used to this kind of eating.”
lemonade. It was not green, nor did it come with a sprinkle of flax seed or nutritional yeast, but because this place had the word vegan associated with it, every thing was suspect. It’s a scary world for some, and I understand that, I used to enjoy my little safe boat with all the things I knew around me – until someone rocked that boat and I was ejected from it and found a much bigger and better boat to be on.
Anyway – I asked what do vegans eat – so I could giveaway my favorite poster ever, which highlights what vegans eat. And the winner is …. (picked at random by a fancy number generator thingy out of 45 comments)
Number 24! Cristy! She said “Salads in the form of GREEN SMOOTHIES” and I love that answer, because if I can have a pound of greens and make it taste like chocolate cherry ice-cream, I’m a happy person.
Here are all of your responses:
- Homemade guacamole with multi-grain tortilla chips. I will seriously have this for dinner some nights.
- Vegans eat plants, pure and simple. Fresh fruit and veggies, cooked to perfection, seasoned with delicious spices and sauces, over whole grains, with nuts and legumes on the side. Love love LOVE fresh sauteed kale with garlic, butternut squash and ginger soup, and whole wheat tortilla “paninis” with sweet potato and yam in the (vegan out of the box) George Foreman. Can’t beat salads or fruit smoothies, either. And CURRY!
- Well… right now this vegan is eating some pita bread with some hummus and hot sauce.
- Today this vegan will be eating fruit, edamame, miso soup, raw veggies and a big salad with nuts, seeds, quinoa and a raw nut dressing. Mmm Mmm.
- Potato chickpea enchiladas with pine nut crema and green tomatillo sauce, with sides of tostones, refried beans, lime and coriander rice and guacamole. With mango and papaya sorbet for dessert? I think so. Yum.
- black beans with chopped green onions and olive oil, peanut butter on whole wheat, bananas, oatmeal with pumpkin and soymilk…
- Yay plants! I’m currently anticipating a nice warm bowl of oatmeal to pair with the rain outside.
- Vegetable Fried Rice!
- Last night I cooked a curried vegetable quinoa pie with a topping of seeds and nutritional yeast flakes, served with yellow split pea daal. All the protein and B12 represented! For breakfast today I had porridge with berries and sultanas and a pinch of cinnamon and agave syrup. About to have lunch time snack of rosemary crispbreads and my homemade hummus. Later I will make a roasted vege lasagne. I might even make my heavenly chocolate cake with cashew nut butter filling. I bet many omnivores won’t be getting that range of goodness today, or possible even as much protein!
- What do vegans eat? So very much! Quinoa stirfy, tofu breakfast scrambles, blueberry cornmeal pancakes (I thought I’d died and gone to heaven the first time I made these!) and the list is never-ending. I’m so happy that more and more chefs are willing to explore veganism because that means more delicious meals for us! And most importantly, no matter what we eat, we’re reducing the harm and suffering in the world. Delicious and just! That’s a feeling I get to enjoy every time I overdo it on a big bowl of banana ice cream or plan a just-filling baked seitan salad.
- Right now I am eating whole wheat toast and an apple. Later I will eat a smoothie, green with fruits and some pea, hemp and rice protein! Then a HUGE salad! For dinner, not sure yet, I will report back
- Seitan! Also vegan odwalla smoothies.
- We eat only the most delicious foods and meals ever! And if you do it right, you can eat 5 meals a day and not gain an ounce
- Whole wheat tacos with cilantro rice, sauteed tofu, homemade salsa, avocado and a little daiya cheese melted on top
- Taco slop, basicly tortillas and what ever fresh veggies I have in the house made in a casserole dish!
- Today this vegan will be eating some homemade applesauce. Mmm.
- Persian rice – yummy
- Good, good stuff. Today, it’s vegan pizza!
- What do Vegans eat? Lots of nuts! Check out this recipe for Raw Energy Bliss Balls… mmmm….
- Organic whole wheat pasta and cashew “cheez” sauce. Also lots and lots and lots of organic fair trade coffee. Planning a huge pile of broccoli later. My midterm study snacks totally beat omni junk food.
- Toasted marmite and tofutti cheese sandwiches. And joy!
- lots and lots of greens. spinach, kale, collards, etc.
- Salads in the form of GREEN SMOOTHIES!
- Vegans eat…a lot! This here vegan is about to tuck into a sandwich and butternut squash soup…
- Hummus and veggies in pitas. Yum!
- Delicious five bean chili with tons of spice. Serve with delicious jalapeno corn bread!
- Right now I’m craving roasted brussel sprouts sprinkled with nooch.
- Right now for my mid afternoon snack I had hemp plus oatmeal with blueberries, chia seeds and some peanut butter! YUM!
- They eat tofu steaks over a bed of arugula with water sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic AND mashed potatoes!
- This past Saturday, my neighborhood had the annual Chili party. I made a Three Bean with Garden Fresh Vegetables. As an organic gardener for over 24 years, I used 4 kinds of peppers, 3 kinds of tomatoes, herbs, and garlic, plus onions and a can of corn for color. My wife said she did not even miss the meat and non of the neighbors complained
- For dinner we had whole wheat pasta with marinara sauce, mushrooms and some boca ground crumbles. On the side we had baked butternut squash. We also had steamed broccoli and kale! Yum!
- Everything except animal products.
- Today? Minestrone soup, salad, bread, apple, pumpkin cookies, oatmeal, apple cider.
- tahini, kale, Daiya cheese, French baguette, and chili peppers! btw if anyone has a recipe that utilizes all of these ingredients, please, please, please let me know!
– those ingredients would make a great panini. Blend the tahini and the chili peppers and spread on the split baguette, sprinkle with the cheese and kale, and toast it in a pan with a weight on top.
- Anything that doesn’t walk, crawl, swim, or fly. If it comes from something with a face and/or a heartbeat it’s off limits.
- All kinds of tasty stuff!
- This morning’s vegan meal is steel cut oats cooked with dried figs and cinnamon, topped with sliced almonds. Yum!
- Vega protein shakes! And later tonight, a burrito with roasted veggies on the side…mmm…
- Favorite foods I cook for myself (which is saying something because I don’t cook much!): Vegan Blueberry pancakes for breakfast, Mock Tuna or Egg Salad sandwiches for lunch, Vegan Eggplant Parmesan for supper.
- Leafy greens, fruit and vegetables, nuts, seeds, grains, legumes, fungus, seaweeds & yeasts Today I’m having black eyed peas & barley soup over cornbread.
I eat simple foods; beans and grains in their multitude of combinations are my mainstay.
- This vegan will be eating vegan pot pie tonight *squeal!*
- Red Lentil Pasta
- teriyaki soy curls!
- For lunch I had a homemade veggie lentil burger topped with avocado, arugula, sprouts, onions, tomatoes & pickles all in a freshly baked 5 seed whole wheat bun! it was WOW!