Zen meditation is growing extremely popular. Originally starting with the Japanese Buddhist monks of the “Zen” tradition, this technique has spread throughout the world, and is now popular everywhere!
The people who practice this type of meditation do so with an internal focus. Releasing the mind by focusing on breath.
On this page you will learn a number of important facts when it comes to this type of meditation, and how it can benefit you in your life.
Benefits of Zen Meditation
There are many different benefits of Zen practices. The following details some of these advantages:
- The main advantage to doing this meditation is that you can experience a general sense of relaxation. This meditation type allows you to experience relief from stress, anxiety, and even depression. As you relax, these levels are drastically reduced.
- Individuals who engage in this practice and suffer from addictions to alcohol, prescriptions medications, nicotine, and drugs have often experienced relief from these complications.
- Through Zen meditation a person can start to become aware of themselves and their self esteem starts to increase. Many will start to find that they are unique and special in their own way. These same individuals will experience a boost to their self-esteem.
- Positive thinking and approaches to life will eventually start to become more and more positive and productive. Even when negative situations occur, the individual that engages in this type of meditation will see that there is a reason for all and in all something can be learned. As a direct result of this way of thinking, people naturally start to become more positive. As positivity emerges, that person will also experience a higher level of productivity in their work, social life, personal life, and many other areas of life.
- Those who have problem making important decisions will often express that meditation allowed them the ability to solve their critical thinking and creative problem solving skills. This is because at the higher state of consciousness in this type of meditation, the mind is more receptive. Furthermore, the area of the mind that is responsible for creativity actually becomes stimulated while going through the process of meditation.
The Process of Zen Meditation
There is a certain method when it comes to performing this meditation. The following will out line the steps that are required in order to be successful:
- The first thing that you will want to do is place a cushion of some type on the floor where you will be sitting in order to perform this step.
- There are many different positions that you can assume when engaging in this type of meditation. You can choose from full-lotus, sitting, half-lotus, kneeling, quarter-lotus, and Burmese. You should study these positions in order to determine the one that is best suited for you. Chances are, you will need to use each method when meditating in order to determine the best one.
- When sitting in the position that you choose to use for your meditative practice, it is important to ensure that your back is kept as straight as possible. The chin should always be pushed in. It is equally important to rest the hands on the legs with the palms up. This is a truly receptive position, which will allow you to be completely open yourself up.
- Next, you should start focusing on your breathing and clearing your mind. The area that you choose to meditate in should be quiet, comfortable, and free of distractions.
- Once your mind is clear, try connecting with the you that is considered to be “universal”. This is the stage in which the consciousness is at a higher level and where you can approach issues with creativity. Many simply use this technique to reach a heightened state of consciousness whereas others are seeking inner peace and spiritual wisdom.
There are many different benefits of trying out Zen. If you are seeking to engage in meditation that is personally enriching so that you may hit a new level of enlightenment, this is an excellent choice. The body will experience advantages in the spirit, the mind, and even the body!
Many physical benefits such as increased immunity and healing are likely to occur during this stage of Zen. People who engage in meditation are more likely to be positive, open to learning, and happy.
My clients who we have practiced different meditations and Yoga with report feeling new calm like focused in many other areas of their lives, too.
Definitely worth giving a try!